Menu

Australian Shares.com is the world's biggest free online database of information on Australian resource companies.

This website has up-to-date details on over 1000 separate listed and unlisted organisations, including what they mine (or explore) for, how much of any given resource they have in the ground, or in reserve, the location of their operations, corporate details, news, links and history. Find out more

Australian Shares

Australian Shares Sparty's Blog

Comments on this blog should never be taken as investment advice

Posts on this website are general "tips" and nothing more than that and should never be used to make an investment or trading decision. All information should be carefully cross-checked against official sources for accuracy. Sparty's posts nearly always relate to companies that he either holds, has held or intends to hold.

Main ForumALK, LYC, GGG, ARU specific mention by US D.O.E

• The excerpts below should serve to re-focus investors minds re ASX listedAustralian Rare Earths companies. Most will have recognised that substantial jaw-boning has taken place over recent months, perhaps with the intention of driving down the share price of several target companies. Investors need to understand which companies have what and that information can be found on our www.australianrareearths.com site. The article below in conjunction with that information will allow investors to sort the chaff from the wheat and show which Australian companies are pivotal, especially in the H-REEs.

The US Department of Energy CRITICAL MATERIALS STRATEGY Dec 2011... PDF

As part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)’s work to position the United States to lead in the production of clean energy technologies, we are releasing our 2011 Critical Materials Strategy. The report builds on DOE’s previous work in this area and provides updated analyses on a range of topics. The report finds that many clean energy technologies depend on raw materials with potential supply risks. The report identifies strategies for addressing these risks and provides background that may be helpful for stakeholders working in this area.

Executive Summary This report examines the role of rare earth metals and other materials in the clean energy economy. It is an update of the 2010 Critical Materials Strategy, which highlighted the importance of certain materials to wind turbines, electric vehicles (EVs), photovoltaic (PV) thin films and energy-efficient lighting. The 2011 Critical Materials Strategy includes updated criticality assessments, market analyses and technology analyses to address critical materials challenges. It was prepared by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) based on data collected and research performed during 2011. The report’s highlights include:

• Several clean energy technologies—including wind turbines, EVs, PV thin films and fluorescent lighting—use materials at risk of supply disruptions in the short term. Those risks will generally decrease in the medium and long terms.
    • Supply challenges for five rare earth metals (dysprosium, neodymium, terbium, europium and yttrium) may affect clean energy technology deployment in the years ahead.
    • In the past year, DOE and other stakeholders have scaled up work to address these challenges. This includes new funding for priority research, development of DOE’s first critical materials research plan, international workshops bringing together leading experts and substantial new coordination among federal agencies working on these topics.
    • Building workforce capabilities through education and training will help address vulnerabilities and realize opportunities related to critical materials.
    • Much more work is required in the years ahead.

This report focuses on several clean energy technologies expected to experience high growth in coming years. The scenarios presented are not predictions of the future. Future supply and demand for materials may differ from these scenarios due to breakthrough technologies, market response to material scarcity and other factors. This analysis is intended to help inform policymakers and the public.

Criticality Assessment

Sixteen elements were assessed for criticality in wind turbines, EVs, PV cells and fluorescent lighting. The methodology used was adapted from one developed by the National Academy of Sciences. The criticality assessment was framed in two dimensions: importance to clean energy and supply risk. Five rare earth elements (REEs)—dysprosium, terbium, europium, neodymium and yttrium—were found to be critical in the short term (present–2015). These five REEs are used in magnets for wind turbines and electric vehicles or phosphors in energy-efficient lighting.

Other elements—cerium, indium, lanthanum and tellurium—were found to be near-critical. Between the short term and the medium term (2015–2025), the importance to clean energy and supply risk shift for some materials (Figures ES-1 and ES-2)

short-term-citicality.gif

medium-term-citicality.gif

The report also signals out 12 companies ina "Market Cap" analysis: mkt-cap-ree-compnaies.gif
    Most currently active rare earth ventures are publicly traded, usually on U.S., Canadian, Australian or Chinese exchanges. Successful public flotations require fairly advanced operations with proven resources, a bankable feasibility study and often customer contracts or off-take agreements in place that ensure some level of revenue.

Visit: www.australianrareearths.com for information on Australian rare earth companies etc.

Rees-current-future-supplies.gif

• So what about Tellurium now you have read the report? http://www.australian-shares.com/forums/search?Search=tellerium

• By Crikey that is a compelling case to buy into specific REO shares. I don't doubt that the requirement for REO in the high tech green world is needed. So much so I have bought and am holding REO shares.

Note: I own ALK and ARU shares...

Cudeco only has a small amount of Tellurium.

I'll be sticking with the best Dysprosium producer: ALK

Happy Trading Alite

• I'm not sure about CDU's tellurium resource size, but at 3500ppm (7.7Lbs per ton) it seems to be worth noting, especially as there are only two other ASX listed companies that appear to have some. These are Hodges Resources (2700ppm) and Enterprise Metals (510ppb).

Note that tellurium has one of the lowest crustal abundances and is now seeing increasing demand: "Tellurium is technically not a metal; it is classified with elements known as "Metalloids". It is presently primarily used in steel alloys to make them more machinable, but is increasingly an essential layer in solar panels. The world's largest solar panel manufacturer, First Solar, smartly acquired a Mexican tellurium mine this year to assure it has a long term continued supply. But many question whether global demand will outstrip supply. Annual global production is approximately 200 tons, yet demand is projected to reach 800 tons by 2013." The price of Te has increased from US$89/kg in 2006 to $210/kg in 2010

400px-Elemental_abundances.svg.png
    The nine rarest "metals" — the six platinum group elements plus Au, Re, and Te (a metalloid) — in the yellow field.

CDU's Wilgar Deposit: A RICH mix
    wilgar-te-au-ag-600x261.jpg

• Alite, I forgot to say that I regard Alkane as being one of Australia's standouts.

It should also be noted that Lithium is the only substance to move from non-crtical to critical over the next decade. Australia's largest ASX listed Lithium miner is GXY and is currently Australia's only ASX listed Lithium producer.

• Sparty, I do not believe that solar is the near term energy of the future. At the moment solar costs too much per kW/h. Any investment in Tellurium based on Solar is likely to fail. LPG from mines has increased. Coal seam gas and Shale gas have reduced the cost of energy in the USA to below oil prices. Energy is the game and Tellurium Solar panels cannot compete.

As for GXY: I stated that they were not worth more than 52c/share on their mine activities. Since then GXY has come down from 1.80 to 80c and in my view is now rightly valued. GXY's Lithium vertigal intergration is a bold and I think great strategy. Good luck too them... I'll invest in less risky companies.

Alite

• The NSW Gov has decided to allow exploration for Uranium in the state. If significant resources are found they may allow mining within 2 years. Alkane's Zirconium / REO project in Dubbo also contains an amount of uranium. To date ALK has been forced to not utilise the Uranium that they will be mining. They intended to put it back in the ground they way they found it. But if the NSW mining rules allow uranium to be commoditised then ALK will have a new income stream with minimal extra capital input. This could make ALK even more attractive.

Alite

Want to take part in this discussion? Click one of these: Sign In Apply for Membership

Australian Shares Forum Options

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to take part in the discussions, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership