Menu

Australian Shares is the world's biggest free online database of information on Australian resource companies.

Time to Update your company profile
Australian Shares

BHP BILLITON LIMITED

ASX: BHP

The data on Australian Shares.com is intended as a guide only and is compiled from information in the public domain. Data on this website should not be used to make an investment or trading decision.

Description

At BHP Billiton, we have a unique breadth and quality of products. To support these products, we have created twin marketing hubs, in Singapore and The Hague. These hubs ensure innovative customer solutions and superior customer service.

ALUMINIUM

BHP Billiton is the world's sixth largest producer of primary aluminium, with a total production capacity of approximately 1.3 million tonnes of aluminium, approximately 15.6 million tonnes of bauxite and 4.5 million tonnes of alumina per annum. We are one of the world's largest non-integrated producers of primary aluminium. Our network of operations services a global customer base, with sites in South America, Southern Africa, Australia and Europe. In addition we have marketing offices around the world.

Hillside Project

The Hillside aluminium smelter is located in Richards Bay, 200 kilometres north of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province, South Africa. The operation is fully owned and operated by BHP Billiton. Construction of Hillside Aluminium began in 1993. Hillside's two potlines cast their first metal in June 1995. In February 2003, Hillside was expanded with a further half potline. First metal was poured from this half potline during October 2003. This increased production at Hillside from 535 000 to more than 700 000 tons per annum, making it the largest aluminium smelter in the southern hemisphere and South Africa's major producer of primary aluminium. It is one of the world's most advanced and efficient AP30 smelters and produces primary aluminium ingots. Richards Bay has one of South Africa's major deepwater ports.

Mozal Project

BHP Billiton operates the Mozal aluminium smelter located 17 kilometres from Maputo in Mozambique. BHP Billiton has a 47.1 per cent interest in the joint venture. The other partners are: Mitsubishi Coporation (25 per cent), Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited (24 per cent), and the Government of Mozambique (3.9 per cent). The Mozal aluminium smelter uses Aluminium Pechiney AP35 technology to produce standard aluminium ingots. Our Worsley refinery in Western Australia supplies alumina to the operation. Mozal also developed and operates a dedicated berth and other port terminal facilities at Matola, the port of Maputo. Mozal 1, the US$1.34 billion development which was launched in 1998, was the biggest single project investment ever made in Mozambique. The smelter was successfully completed six months ahead of schedule and more than US$100 million under budget. It was officially opened on 29 September 2000. The Mozal 2 expansion project was approved in June 2001 and expanded the output of the smelter from 253 000 to 506 000 tpa of primary ingots. The first aluminium was cast at the expansion project on 7 April 2003. Mozal 2 was fully commissioned in August 2003 was completed below the budget of US$860 million. Up to August 2010, Mozal achieved 4,500,000 tonnes of sales.

Worsley Project

Worsley Alumina is a joint venture operation between BHP Billiton (86 per cent), Japan Alumina Associates (Australia) Pty Ltd (10 per cent) and Sojitz Alumina Pty Ltd (four per cent). Located in Western Australia, operations include a bauxite mine and an alumina refinery. Worsley Alumina is the manager of the joint venture. The Worsley Alumina Refinery takes its name from the historic timber settlement of Worsley, near Collie in the south west corner of Western Australia. The history of the Worsley Project dates back to the early 1960s when a group of local business people formed a company to explore, develop and sell deposits of bauxite ore on the eastern side of the Darling Range, near Boddington. Construction of a mine site and refinery began in 1980 and the first alumina was produced in April 1984. In May 2000, Worsley completed an $1 billion expansion and annual production has increased to 3.1 million tonnes. Alumina is carted by rail and exported through the Port of Bunbury. More than 1200 people are employed at the mine site and refinery. Many more jobs have been created through the employment of sub-contractors and through the support of local businesses and suppliers. The company is also an active supporter of local community projects and programs.

BASE METALS

BHP Billiton is one of the world's top producers of copper, silver, lead and uranium, and a leading producer of zinc. We provide base metal concentrates to custom smelters and copper cathodes to rod and brass mills and casting plants and uranium oxide to power utilities. We aim to become the pre-eminent supplier in base metals through capacity expansions, reliable supply and innovative solutions.

We have an excellent portfolio of large, low-cost mining operations with substantial growth opportunities. We have a number of expansion opportunities — both greenfield (new sites) and brownfield (developments on existing sites) — which are sufficient to allow us to expand copper production significantly through various projects.

* Antamina, Peru (33.75 per cent) — copper and zinc concentrates
* Cannington, Australia (100 per cent) — lead and zinc concentrates with high silver content
* Cerro Colorado, Chile (100 per cent) — copper cathodes
* Escondida, Chile (57.5 per cent) — copper concentrates and cathodes
* Olympic Dam, Australia (100 per cent) — copper cathodes, uranium oxide, gold and silver bullion.
* Spence, Chile (100 per cent) — copper cathodes * Antamina, Peru (33.75 per cent) — copper and zinc concentrates

DIAMONDS

The cornerstone of BHP Billiton’s Diamonds business is the EKATI Diamond Mine, of which we own 80 per cent. EKATI is located in the Canada’s Northwest Territories and produces approximately three million carats of rough diamonds annually. Annual sales from EKATI (including minority shares) represent around three per cent of current world rough diamond supply by weight and five per cent by value. We sell most of our rough diamonds to international diamond buyers through our Antwerp sales office and we sell up to 10 per cent of our rough diamonds to approved Canadian manufacturers in the Northwest Territories. For information about our Diamonds and Specialty Products marketing activities, see Diamonds and Specialty Products in Product Enquiries.

Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is a 50 per cent owned heavy mineral sands mine and smelter situated in northern KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. RBM is a major producer of titania slag, high purity pig iron, rutile and zircon. We have a titania slag project at Corridor Sands in Mozambique.

POTASH

BHP Billiton has exploration rights to a total of over 14,000km2 of highly prospective ground in the Saskatchewan potash basin. Jansen is the most advanced project of BHP Billiton's multiple development options in potash, nearing completion of its selection study. Jansen is anticipated to proceed to full definition in the later half of 2010 while the nearby Boulder and Young projects are in the more preliminary identification phase of study. The Burr project, acquired with Athabasca Potash in early 2010, is currently under review in the context of BHP Billiton's full potash development portfolio. Exploration on the Melville area, also acquired with Athabasca Potash, is due to begin in July 2010.

Although there are 10 potash mines currently in production in Saskatchewan, there have been no new potash mines in the Province in almost 40 years. Canada is one of the great mining countries in the world – and BHP Billiton is not just hoping to open a mine, we want to build a sizable new business in Saskatchewan.

Key Activities

* June, 2006: BHP Billiton forms joint venture with Anglo-Potash with a 75% interest in approximately 7,400 km2 of highly prospective exploration lands in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
* July 2008: BHP Billiton acquires the remaining interest in Anglo-Potash
* September 2008: BHP Billiton Potash Development Office opens at Innovation Place in Saskatoon
* September/October 2008: Community meetings with stakeholders, including First Nations and Métis Groups
* November 2008: Jansen Project Proposal submitted to Saskatchewan Environment and Resource Management
* March/April 2009: Community information sessions are held in ten communities across Southern Saskatchewan
* April 2009: Jansen exploration project is completed.
* June 2009: Boulder Project Identification Study begins
* October 2009: BHP Billiton starts the pilot hole drilling program for the Jansen project
* October 2009: BHP Billiton receipted the Project Specific Guidelines from Saskatchewan Environment and Resource Management for the submission of the Environmental Impact Statement.
* November 2009: Boulder field exploration program begins
* February 2010: Jansen project pilot hole drilling program is completed
* March 2010: BHP Billiton acquires Athabasca Potash, increasing the exploration land position to approximately 14,000 km2.
* March 2010: Boulder field exploration program concludes
* April 2010: Open house meetings are held in six communities nearest to the Jansen Project
* May 2010: Site preparation begins for the Jansen Ground Freezing Study. Ground freezing is necessary to safely and successfully sink the mining shafts because of the presence of local aquifers common to the region

ENERGY COAL

BHP Billiton is one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of export thermal coal.

Our global portfolio of high-quality, long-life operations, together with our marketing model, ensures that we are able to provide customers with packages of products and services that meet their needs. In addition to our seaborne supply into the Atlantic and Pacific markets, we service domestic markets in South Africa, Australia and the US.

BHP Billiton provides thermal coal for use in the electric power generation industry and general industrial concerns such as cement production. Our portfolio of operations produces a variety of coal qualities allowing us to provide product solutions for most applications.

MANGANESE

With approximately 4500 employees across five operations in Australia and South Africa, BHP Billiton Manganese is the world’s largest integrated producer of manganese units and is ranked number one in the world in seaborne supply of manganese ore and in the top three global producers of alloy. Some 80 per cent of the Company’s products are exported to alloyers and steelmakers across the globe. The key markets for ore are China, Japan, South Korea, India and the EU, while the key markets for alloy are North America, EU, Japan and the Middle East.

Hotazel Manganese Mines (HMM)

HMM, located in the Kalahari basin in the Northern Cape Province of Southern Africa, is one of the largest single producers of manganese ore in the world. Samancor Manganese has a 91 per cent shareholding in HMM, with Ntsimbintle Mining owning the remaining 9 per cent. It comprises two manganese mines - Wessels and Mamatwan. Mamatwan is an open-cut mining operation. A dense medium separation plant on site beneficiates the ore before sintering. Sintered manganese ore has several distinct advantages over natural ore when used in electric furnaces for ferroalloy production. At Wessels, underground mining of a hydrothermally enriched manganese ore of a higher grade occurs at a depth of 300 metres.

Manganese Metal Company (MMC)

MMC, located in Nelspruit in the Mpumalanga Province of South Africa, is the single largest producer of pure electrolytic manganese metal in the world. MMC produces only selenium-free electrolytic manganese - the purest form of manganese. The metal is produced from South African high-grade manganese ore, extracted via a hydrometallurgical process. Samancor Manganese has a 51 per cent shareholding in MMC, with Bilston Investments (Pty) Ltd, a member of the Delta Plc group, owning the remaining 49 per cent.

Metalloys

Metalloys, located near Vereeniging in Gauteng, South Africa, is a manganese alloy plant which produces silicomanganese and ferromanganese also using a hydrometallurgical process.

Tasmanian Electro Metallurgical Company Pty Ltd (TEMCO)

TEMCO, located at Bell Bay in Tasmania, is the only manganese ferroalloy plant in Australia and produces ferromanganese, silicomanganese and sinter. BHP Billiton owns 60 per cent of TEMCO. The remaining 40 per cent is owned by Anglo American.

Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO)

GEMCO operates an open cut mine located on Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria off the coast of Australia's Northern Territory. This mining operation accounts for more than 15% of the world’s high-grade manganese ore production with approximately 70% of its product exported around the globe. GEMCO also processes raw ore into clean lump and fine ore products, providing customers with a reliable supply of consistently high quality manganese products. BHP Billiton owns 60 per cent of GEMCO. The remaining 40 per cent is owned by Anglo American.

IRON ORE

BHP Billiton Iron Ore currently has operations in Western Australia and Brazil. Its Australian Iron Ore assets are based in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.BHP Billiton Iron Ore is one of the world’s premier suppliers of iron ore, employing 8 000 people across the Pilbara - around 18 per cent of the region’s total population. The Company’s operations involve a complex integrated system of seven mines, more than 1,000km of rail and two separate port facilities.

BHP Billiton Iron Ore is a 50/50 joint venture partner with Vale at the Samarco operations in Brazil. This operation has an annual production capacity of more than 12 million tones of iron ore pellets and one million tones of concentrates. The Samarco operations include open pit mines, a concentration plant, two pellet plants, port facilities and a 396 kilometre concentrate slurry pipeline between the mine and the pellet plants.

BHP Billiton Iron Ore is currently carrying out concept studies in Guinea (West Africa) to determine the economic viability, sustainability impacts and management implications of operations in this area. We are also considering development opportunities in India.

METALLURGICAL COAL

BHP Billiton Metallurgical Coal is the largest global supplier of seaborne traded hard coking coal. We primarily produce and market high quality hard coking coals for the international steel industry. In addition, we supply a wide range of other coal qualities to satisfy specific customer requirements.

Production is from our low cost asset base located in Queensland (predominantly open cut mines owned in an alliance with Mitsubishi Corporation) and New South Wales (100 per cent owned underground operations).

Long life reserves with a strong portfolio of undeveloped resources and ownership of key infrastructure provide flexibility to enable us to continually expand our production capacity in line with customer needs.

BHP Billiton has interests in the following operations:

* BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), Australia (50 per cent ownership) — metallurgical and thermal coal
* Illawarra Coal, Australia (100 per cent ownership) — metallurgical and thermal coal (marketed through BMA)
* BHP Mitsui Coal, Australia (80 per cent ownership) — metallurgical and thermal coal (marketed through BMA)
* IndoMet Coal Project (75 per cent ownership) — The IndoMet Coal Project (Maruwai) is a high quality metallurgical coal deposit in Central and East Kalimantan, comprising eight companies which hold seven Coal Contracts of Work (CCOWs).

PETROLEUM

First and foremost, BHP Billiton Petroleum has a commitment to Zero Harm – a principle that every employee and contractor returns home safely every day and that we operate without harm to the environment.

Functional Excellence. Functional Excellence is the basis for the way we work. Strong Project, Operations, Drilling and Geoscience skills lead to outstanding execution.

Continued Volume Growth. BHP Billiton Petroleum produced more than 376,000 barrels per day of oil equivalent (boe) in 2009, maintaining a nine percent annual growth rate for production for every year since fiscal year 2007.

Expanding Capability. Over the next several years, BHP Billiton Petroleum exploration will focus on drilling high-impact wells across a global portfolio, including the Gulf of Mexico, Malaysia, Australia, the Falklands, and Canada, while continuing to target new opportunities. We are committed to growing the quantity and materiality of our exploration portfolio and drillable prospects.

A Portfolio Of New Opportunities. Our flat, lean organization is key to capturing new opportunities and allows us to make decisions faster than our peers and move forward with speed. Behind our successful safety performance, growth and operating discipline is the commitment of our team of more than 1,700 employees.

NICKEL AND COBALT

BHP Billiton is the world's third largest nickel producer. Stainless Steel Materials primarily services the stainless steel industries through our wide range of high-quality nickel products. In addition, we supply nickel and cobalt to other markets including the specialty alloy, foundry, chemicals, and refractory material industries and the intermediate nickel market.

* Nickel West, Western Australia (100% ownership) - nickel and cobalt.
* Cerro Matoso, Colombia, South America (99.94% ownership) - ferronickel.

Mine For

aluminium, bauxite, copper, silver, lead, zinc, diamonds, coal, manganese, iron ore, metallurgical coal, coking coal, petroleum

Location of operation(s)

Guinea, Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, Canada, Indonesia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Suriname, USA, Australia

Address

Level 27 , 180 Lonsdale Street
MELBOURNE, VIC, AUSTRALIA

Phone

(61) 1300 55 47 57

Email

Website


Last Updated

17/1/2011

 

The data on Australian Shares.com is intended as a guide only and is provided purely as an indication of what information can be found through official announcements. Data on this website should not be used to make an investment or trading decision. All information should be carefully cross-checked against official sources for accuracy. The publisher (Intaanetto Pty Ltd) will not be held liable for any loss arising from the use of this website.

Spacious and Lovely Gold Coast Holiday House