Menu

Australian Shares.com is the world's biggest free online database of information on Australian resource companies.

This website has up-to-date details on over 1000 separate listed and unlisted organisations, including what they mine (or explore) for, how much of any given resource they have in the ground, or in reserve, the location of their operations, corporate details, news, links and history. Find out more

Australian Shares

Australian Shares Sparty's Blog

Comments on this blog should never be taken as investment advice

Posts on this website are general "tips" and nothing more than that and should never be used to make an investment or trading decision. All information should be carefully cross-checked against official sources for accuracy. Sparty's posts nearly always relate to companies that he either holds, has held or intends to hold.

Main ForumCentral Petroleum on fire today

• It looks like CTP is starting to run hard. No new news but I think that the re-run of the ABC's Catalyst program that compared Underground Coal Gasification (UCG) to Coal Seam Methane (CSM) with all of its problems with underground water depletion has got people thinking about the relative merits of UCG.

UCG not only doesn't have to extract literally millions of liters of salty underground water and the consequent risks to the local farmers land when it is dumped into evaporation ponds and to the Great Artesian Basin itself and the known effects on the local water table, UCG also provides for a much more efficient and less costly utilisation of the coal itself.

CSM extraction is said to use less than 5% of the coals' energy whereas UCG uses around 98% of the coals' energy. This coupled with the ability to vary the input air mix into the burn chamber also means that different gas mixes can be produced.

The Catalyst program clearly showed that Queensland has chosen the wrong horse when they legislated against UCG in favor of CSM. Not only may they pay the price in electoral terms they have also lost huge potential revenues as several currently based UCG plays are moving out to South Australia and to the Northern Territory.... and this is where CTP comes into the story....

CTP found around a trillion tons of UCG suitable coal in its Northern Territory leases.... These are deep, thick coal seams that are ideal for UCG.... And using Linc Energy's proven UCG-GTL (Gas to liquids process) 1t of coal = 1.5 - 2 barrels of oil equivalent for $28 per barrel.... Note the nearby Adelaide-Darwin railway

And my guess is that one of the Qld UCG plays have started to have a very close look at CTP's coal. My bet is that it is LNC taking the closest interest but Carbon Energy or Cougar could also be in the running.

Click image for larger image

Read about Australia's pathway to liquid fuel independence here at www.ucg-gtl.com

ucg-gtl-diagram2.jpg

Want to take part in this discussion? Click one of these: Sign In Apply for Membership

Australian Shares Forum Options

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to take part in the discussions, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership